Tuesday, September 7, 2010

FAQ: Do I Use Protein Shakes?

Anytime I get to talking fitness with anyone, the subject of protein shakes always comes up. Especially as a vegetarian, you are always told you don't get enough protein anyway (untrue), but in my own study the last few years, I decided to include one protein shake after my workouts and I also started doing a supplemental shake in the evening, Shakeology, for added nutrition.

Most protein powders out there taste pretty nasty to be quite honest. The first one my husband and I bought was one they sold at Walmart and it tasted like medicine. Then we switched the the one they sold at our local Sam's club (EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder) which actually tasted pretty good and used that for a while.

However, I've recently gotten convicted that I really don't like the use of so much artificial sweeteners and most brands that are easily accessible have sucralose (otherwise known as Splenda) as well as countless preservatives and additives that make me just a little wary.

One day, I was Googling "clean whey protein powder" and ended up on the Sparkpeople.com forums where some ladies were talking about the best tasting protein powder they had ever had, specifically mentioning one of the the flavors, Birthday Cake, tasted just like Cold Stone Creamery's Birthday Cake (or is it Cake Batter?) which I had just had a week or so before, lol.

So I went to their website at http://www.tryabouttime.com and found where you can try two samples for $2.99 (Shipping and handling included!) and found out those ladies were NOT lying about the flavor! It a very basic protein powder with less than four ingredients, it is made with Stevia and only a little over 100 calories and 25 grams of protein per serving!

After experimenting with some of the flavors however, I decided my favorite is the Mocha Mint as it reminded me of a Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip shake...yum!!!! So if I can recommend two flavors to try for your $2.99 sampler, it would be Mocha Mint & Birthday Cake. It's all I'm going order from now on! However, if you are parital to Cinnabon, you might also want to try the Cinnamon Swirl...

As far as the Shakeology, you may think I only drink this because I am a Beachbody Coach. Well, partly true. I would not have tried it had I not gotten curious about it after all the other Beachbody Coaches were talking about how awesome it was for getting nutrients and improving energy levels, etc.

Honestly, at the hefty price tag of about $4 a serving ($3 if you sign up as a Beachbody Coach---see me at adorned_with_grace@yahoo.com if you are interested!), I was EXTREMELY hesitant as I really did not think anything could be all that great. But as I did a little research on Shakeology and its ingredients and even read about the "Three Day Shakeology Cleanse" I thought I would like to try it to see if I felt any different.

I did! It took care of some of my cravings--of basically ANY food--and I suspected my body was just needing nutrients in general. I was very, very impressed with the flavor, a rich dark chocolate (that you can "lighten up" with the About Time Birthday Cake if you prefer a more milk chocolate), and its thickness so that you indeed felt full after one serving. Now I do have to supplement during the day with fresh fruit and super-clean salads as my body seems to need that extra bulk, but it was kind of cool to be on a this kind of a cleanse where I actually felt like I was indulging myself! So this has become a staple, and I'll drink at least one or half a serving everyday...

Other reasons why I decided to stick with Shakeology and do the Monthly Autoship?

1. Energy levels are improved! Usually I have certain times of the month my energy lags, but this seems to make up for those times about 70-80%! I imagine all the nourishing ingredients helps feed my body better and my system, in turn, is working more efficiently!
2. Takes care of my chocolate cravings. Normally, I was getting my fix with a serving of 80% dark chocolate that had tons of fat but this seems to take care of it better *without* the fat, and I am much fuller!
3. Despite its cost ($3 as a coach for one serving, $4 for a regular customer), I think that if you were to try and find another alternative or even making your own version of this by buying your own ingredients to mix, it would cost you at least $10 a day. I looked and there is NO "dupe" I could find that was anywhere close. Seriously, read the ingredients list and it's like the "Who's Who" of Superfoods. I look at this as an investment in my health; we can all agree that healthcare costs now are ridiculous and I'd rather spend the money on preventative measures than future illness that I may or may not recover from.
4. Low calories! This has just a few more calories than my old EAS protein powder but mixes up much thicker and tastes as good as an regular chocolate milkshake--better really, since it is not so sugary sweet and I know its good for me. I can even have one a couple hours before bed and not feel guilty.
5. When I do the 3-Day Cleanse, it is like doing a fast *but* still getting the nutrients my body needs. I am able to drop around a pound but I mostly like the extra energy, detoxing, and healthy feeling I get afterward.

So that's my own personal take on protein/health shakes! Everyone is different and I can't say this would be your "magic bullet" formula but I would just encourage you to try one or both of the products especially if you are searching for a nutritious health shake and test if it's what your body is needing!

No comments:

Post a Comment