Friday, September 3, 2010

Even When I Don't Feel Like It...

Due to some Internet issues last week and the fact that I've been putting together some items for one of my other hobbies (www.adornedwithgrace.com), I have been away from my Graceful Coach blog. Does that mean in my busy-ness, I've laxed on my workouts?

No way, lol!!! :)

Let me use this post as an open diary to share that when things get really busy like that, I *do* get tired from the late nights and long hours doing "busy work" and having to get up early to get orders ready to ship, and have those days I'd rather just stay in bed and vegetate.

So what do I personally do in those moments?

I think Chalene Johnson, the trainer of TurboJam, ChaLEAN Extreme, & TurboFire, has said it best (and I am paraphrasing): Even those days you don't feel like it, remember how good you feel afterward. Think about how great you feel knowing you burned off those calories and did something positive for yourself.

I'll admit, one of the reasons I am motivated is to be fit and trim, but I think that just the accomplishment of knowing I did something that seemed especially difficult adds a greater sense of self esteem for me that day. Like this morning, in leui of my usual ChaLEAN Extreme & TurboFire workouts, I did P90x's Back & Biceps & Insanity's Cardio Plyo Circuit because I like to do something with just a little more punch since I use Saturday as a complete rest day. I have not done those videos in a while, much less together, and I had to give myself an extra pep talk; I knew I would not do quite as well as I had done last time, at least with the strength part/P90x, but for that reason knew it would be one tough but great workout!

Sure enough, the pull-ups (or should I say modified via negative-style pull-ups) kicked my butt but was glad to find that the Insanity workout actually seemed easier thanks to Chalene's TurboFire Fire 55 & 60 workouts. I even accompanied the hubby and the dog afterward for a mile and a half jog.

I really did not think I would be able to do all that and I know it is so much easier said that done but knowing that I did something healthy for myself and getting that endorphin high afterward made it all so very worth it!

Now you may still be a beginner and are just working up to a half mile walk or a thirty minute workout video and find that is still quite a mountain to climb! But as mentioned before think about those health benefits and definitely find something that motivates you. If you are going for a walk, make a date with an old friend you haven't talked to in a while and catch up--you may find yourself walking more than a mile you are so engaged in your visit! Or do a DVD with some good music.

Not meaning to advertise, but with TurboFire, depsite the fact that I do have trouble with some of the choreography and find that I prefer Shaun T's "boot-camp" style of moves, the music she uses in it is so fun, it truly makes the time go faster and I'm not even a dance music lover (I'm more of an alterna-folksy rocker chick, lol).

My favorite way to exercise sometimes is while watching "The Biggest Loser" on NBC; I'll pull out my mini-trampoline or get on my elliptical or simply do some calisthenics as I watch. I think if they can do it, I know I can! (Does it blow anyone else away when they have the final set of contestants run a full marathon???) When Jillian or Bob is yelling at one of the people, I imagine they are yelling at me and find my steps getting more intense as I watch them haul it on the treadmills or racing during a challenge.

So, yes, there are ways around those lazy days and like with everything else in life, it is just about the choices we make. Hopefully, we will all strive to do the best we can each and every day! :)

**To buy the Beachbody DVDs listed here (P90x, Insanity, ChaLEAN Extreme, TurboFire) go to our site at Graceful Coach/Beachbody. Sign up under "Graceful Coach" for free coaching and advice from me!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing workouts - two intense videos in one day?! How do you stay motivated to continue even when you feel busy or lazy?

    I missed you over the past week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Caroline! Thanks for missing me and SO sorry for the late reply! I'm not forget that I have to go to my Dashboard to check new comments.

    I guess my biggest motivation is that "high" I get afterward? That feeling of well being and seeing the calories burned on my heart rate monitor make me feel so much better! I read over and over again exercise is as effective as anti-depressants!!!

    But as I've mentioned, I do workouts I really enjoy--if you don't like "boot camp" type workouts but like to dance, then stick with dancing.:)

    ReplyDelete